The Indian post office or the department of posts is one of the prestigious government controlled and operated postal service that functions all across India. The ministry of communications under the government of India is the supervising body of the postal service, which is involved in the exchange of mails and deposits.
Founded in the year 1854, the Indian postal service has diversified the range of facilities offered by it to keep pace with changing times. With its headquarters situated in New Delhi, The agency offers its services in a wide area. For the sake of convenience, the country is divided into 22 circles to facilitate easy and smooth administration.
Going by the huge size of the postal agency, it is always on the lookout of efficient and able employees to provide them with an opportunity to work worth the company. Post office recruitment is the process by which the department attracts shortlists, selects and appoints eligible candidates for various designations. Getting a post office job is once in a lifetime opportunity for the youth of the country for the job offers flexibility of work hours, opportunity to be a part of country’s administration and a dignified place in the society.
Requisites of recruitment
Post office recruitment is done for multiple posts and designations and one can apply for any of the job as per their qualifications and skill. These recruitments are open for most part of the year. Interst5ed candidates can check for their eligibility and can apply for the job online before expiry of the due date. But diligent candidates should never wait for the last date and must get their registration doe before the date.
Before filling up the form of postal service, one should check for the eligibility as per the criterion laid down by the department. The following are the important parameters that are to be complied with for establishing competency for the job :
- Citizenship – The person applying for the job should be a citizen of the country as per the citizenship laws prevalent in the country during that particular period.
- Qualification – The interested candidate must have passed at least 10th standard exam from a government or state affiliated board or from any other nationally recognized institute. However, the official news published by the department must be checked for the purpose of being sure about the qualification criteria.
- Age – the minimum age for applying for a job in postal department is 18 years which means a minor cannot apply for a job. The maximum age for being qualified for the job is 40 years. Although, these are general rules for age related parameters yet some relaxation can be offered in certain cases.
- Other skills – Apart from the above mentioned qualification details, the candidate should also be deft in computer knowledge and must have basic skills for working on computer. Apart from this, the candidate should also be well versed in typing. This increases the chances of selection.
How to apply for the selection
Any person can apply for the exam by means of offline and online mode. The person can choose the mode as per his/her preference and convenience. There are primarily two modes of applying for the exam for post office recruitment :
- Offline mode – A person can apply for the exam for postal services by purchasing the form for the exam from the nearest post office after payment of prescribed fees. The rates of form are more o0r less the same but one should check the official websites of post offices for a final opinion.
- Online mode – For people who prefer to fill an online form, the department also provides for the same. You can simply go to the official website of the department and fill in the required information and submit the application after reading all the exam related documents carefully.
Procedure for selection
Once the candidate’s form gets approved as per the set criteria, the recruitment process begins. Recruitment in postal services is done by means of written examination and interview. The officials for higher posts are recruited by clearing the civil services examination conducted under the supervision of central government. The selection process is as follows-
- The total marks for selection in the examination are 100 which can be bifurcated as follows: 40% of the total weightage is given to marks attained in the 12th standard and 50% of the remaining weightage is attributed to marks attained in the written exam. The rest of the 10 marks are reserved for the computer test which includes a typing test on the computer.
- The test conducted by the government for the purpose of making selection contains objective questions. The test contains 50 questions which include all the subjects like English, mathematics, general knowledge, reasoning and analytical ability. The duration for the test is 60 minutes. Half of the marks secured in the test shall be considered for the final assessment.
- The computer test conducted basically checks the data entry knowledge and typing skills of the person. Typing test requires you to type a passage that ranges between 350-450 words and data entry requires you to enter the data consisting of figures and letters to assess the skills. Both the sections are of 5 marks each and the total weightage of computer test sums up to 10 marks.
- The candidate is required to appear and pass both the tests which is an important condition for the selection.
Terms of service
There are multiple jobs and designations available in the postal department. After selection in post office recruitment exam, the person can start their job as per the post assigned as per their skill. The salary includes basic pay along with dearness allowance, house rent allowance, transport allowance, non practicing allowance and special disturbed area allowance. There are always opportunities for growth as the person can give internal exams to get promoted to higher posts.
Thus, post office recruitment gives a great opportunity to the people to exhibit their skills and knowledge to contribute towards the development of the country.